Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blogging... who me??

Hello. This is my first foray into the world of blogging. I read a bunch of blogs. I write lots of e-mails that oddly kind of sound like blogs. Still, up until now, I have been resisting taking the Blogger free open mic for some improv of my own.

For some reason, though, tonight I said to myself, "why not?" I've sent enough impulsive, unsolicited e-mails to friends raving about this new song I can't stop playing on repeat or that surprisingly awesome opening act. It seems like it'd be a better idea to post all these things in one spot, where people can go and read what I've got to say if they want to and when they want to.

Maybe in 10 years, it'll be amusing to have a record of the soundtracking I tend to lay over my life -- to chuckle at whatever random songs or artists I fall in ...and often out... of love with. And if I help others find music they like along the way, that'd make me really happy.

So, yeah, this is going to be mostly a music blog, because my most tenacious impulses to gush tend to be about music. But... I have been known to be called "research gal" for reasons that go beyond my obsessive MySpace/Rhapsody/professional music blog treasure hunts and my current gig as a PhD student. So don't think I'm going to be able to refrain from posting about other stuff that you might just NEED to know. Like the excellent Van Gogh & Expressionism exhibit at the Neue Galerie (esp. Egon Scheile). Or the 150% that the incomparable Liev Schreiber is putting out there every night in Talk Radio. Or the fact that next Tues. April 17 from 12 pm to 8 pm is Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day (thanks Emily!).

We'll see how it goes...

in the meantime, I have to:

1) shut down my iTunes and stop bopping around to Devin the Dude's "What a Job" (feat. two of my old favs, Snoop & Andre 3000) and the leak of Mario's "Kryptonite" (feat. Rich Boy) [link to stream, c/o Authorize TV].
2) go to sleep so I can get up in time to go running, since my husband, Rich, & I recently committed to running a half-marathon (yep, the above 2 songs are going on my running playlist. Def don't think I could do this half-marathon thing w/out EITHER of my beloved training buddies... Rich OR my IPod Shuffle), and
3) send a shout to JShep, a *real* (and really amazing) music writer/blogger, who has been encouraging me to start a little blog for a while now... and to my fav Amman-bound future awesome architect, who has been seconding JShep's call and leads by example in the domain of following one's bliss. YOU LADIES INSPIRE ME.

No comments: