Saturday, January 12, 2008

It's Getting to the Point Where I'm No Fun Anymore



I heard this song in the movie We Are Marshall last night, and it was like I had forgotten it existed and felt so grateful to be reminded. Actually it was more like randomly running into one of your best friends from your suburban US hometown while in the Alhambra in Granada, Spain (that happened once too).

And the opening lyrics couldn't have been more appropriate for how I have been feeling.

I used to listen to this over and over in high school and early college. It's my favorite CSNY song. When my Aunt Lynn passed away, I got a lot of her cds. Music was my deepest connection to her. She used to listen to WXPN in Philly, and it opened up my mind to something beyond Q102 and Power 99 and Y100. All the CSNY albums I own were hers. And she wasn't just into older music from her youth. She also appreciated Alanis Morissette before I could feel safe singing along to some of those early angry lyrics without watching my back for my dad listening. Ahh... my fearful, careful adolescence. But, that's another post.

Anyway, thank you, Aunt Lynn. Thanks for being a lasting positive influence in my life.

1 comment:

the ice chewer said...

Your love for music keeps her spirit alive.