Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Reason to Sing

Singing makes me happy. I have never really considered all the reasons why. The most obvious one is that music makes me happy, and singing is part of my everyday ritual for expressing gratitude for the miracle in my life that is music.

In yoga this weekend, though, my instructor Maggie commented that singing and chanting is also a great, easy way to release stress -- for more physiological reasons. Singing forces you to breathe deeply, and breathing deeply transforms your autonomic nervous system, relaxing you. Of course!! Somehow I never thought about that before.

As IF I needed another reason to sing, but hmmm... I wonder if my dissertation committee would mind if I started my defense tomorrow with a group song - ?

1 comment:

the ice chewer said...

Unfortunately my singing causes stress to others.