Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thank You New Orleans & Fats Domino

There's something about New Orleans and New Orleans' music that always makes me happy. No matter if it's Fats Domino or Lil Wayne. N.O. songs twinkle like my "little" (but former football-player big) brother-in-law's eyes when he's fighting off a giggle. Well a giggle at a sassy remark, at least. New Orleans, & its music especially, has the best combo of joy + attitude.

So, I'm so completely ALL FOR anything that helps ensure that New Orleans music - its legacy AND its future - is here to stay. I would have bought the Tipitina's Foundation's Tribute album to Fats Domino anyway. But as it turns out this dual-disc album filled with huge names covering Fats' songs is worth every penny. I think I'm going to have to donate to Tipitina's separately AND buy the album for as many people I can think of who'd enjoy it.

Stand out tracks come from Lenny Kravitz With Rebirth Brass Band, Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews, Fred Wesley, Pee Wee Ellis And Maceo Parker; Taj Mahal and The New Orleans Social Club; Corinne Bailey Rae; Herbie Hancock With George Porter Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste & Renard Poche'; and Irma Thomas & Marcia Ball (but there are A LOT of good ones).

No comments: