Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Real Quick on the New Kanye

Have only listened through once thus far, so more to come, but ... I like it. I actually got really excited for it watching Kanye perform on the VMAs - I know he wanted to be on the main stage (Kanye being Kanye), but he still got to me. Anyway, this album is a lot tighter than his past two - no skits that you end up skipping. It's also more interesting musically (drawing from more diverse influences, etc.) than his past work. Some fans may be disappointed b/c the lyrics carry less weighty social messages/less "self-consciousness" than his past stuff, but as music, it's good. It's definitely clear that he sees Justin Timberlake and Timbaland as his competition much more so than 50 cent. Personally, as a music fan, I don't mind that at all.

No comments: